[Xastir] snag trying to install shapelib via source onto mac os X 10.5

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Mon Sep 20 13:59:08 EDT 2010

Jason, Curt, Tom

Thank you for your help with this problem. I have not heard back from
any of you following my last post, so figured you must have thought I
was on the right track, and plowed ahead.

Looking at your responses, I was able to patch up a solution, I
believe. The instructions I followed left out a few other things as
well, but since you mentioned this process was unnecessary, as
shapelib is now incorporated into the Xastir download, I guess it's a
moot point. Just for the record, however, the instructions after this
snag were:

8)   sudo ranlib /usr/local/lib/libshp.a
9)   sudo mkdir /usr/local/include/libshp
10) sudo cp shapefil.h /usr/local/include/libshp

I needed to add
8.1) mkdir /usr/local/include

and a 9.1 step, changing the directory to the location I had the
shapelib file so it could "see" the "shapefil.h" to copy it over.

No major headaches, but these instructions were specifically posted as
being helpful for a Macintosh user who had never seen a command line
before, and that was a bit off the mark, I'd say.

Thanks again.

Hoping you will be willing to help with my next problem, for which I
will start a new thread.

73
Tom