[Xastir] I finally got it!

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:21:07 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 08:01 -0400, John Wilson wrote:

> When I first got into Ham Radio, my first TNC was an AEA PK-88. It had
> a 25 pin RS232 port and I used a 25 - 9 serial cable I had. Last night
> as I was testing, still not getting any signals to the computer from
> the TT4, I also thought about the cable, thinking that using the Null
> Modem cable for communication with Xastir, may not be the right cable
> and I should be using a serial cable. Checking pinouts now to confirm
> my thoughts.
>
> John

Adding to that...there are four different versions, depending on the
application, as to what null modem cable is needed.

Null modem without handshaking
Null Modem with loop back handshaking
Null Modem with partial handshaking
Null Modem with full handshaking.

You can find full pinouts here.

I have an email into Byon about the cable for use, to see if there is a
difference in the configuration null modem and cable for use with a
computer and APRS program...see if we can narrow this down without
bouncing around like a bead of water in a frying pan.

73 John