[Xastir] snag trying to install shapelib via source onto mac os X 10.5

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 12:43:06 EDT 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, T Wegner wrote:

> -rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  63440 Sep 16 21:05 lib
>
> so I take it this means it's a file instead of a directory. Let me be
> perfectly honest here . . . I have no idea what I'm doing. lol

Correct.  It's a 63k file.  There shouldn't be a file there, but a
directory, so it will have to go.  Perhaps check the directions up
to this point to see where that was created and where things went
wrong.

> Should I delete the lib file and make a lib directory here?

Yes, but check the directions to see what the permissions should be
and who the owner & group should be that own the directory.

> Is there something in that lib file of importance and I should not delete?

Shouldn't be.  I've never seen a Unix/Linux box with a "lib" file
there.  It's always a directory.

> Is it possible this could be a permissions or location problem?

Well, something got put into the file, but it most likely was
intended to go into the lib/ directory as a file.

> Checked your link to the Mac Notes; have substantial time invested in the
> MacPorts method and would like to follow through with it until it works or my
> head is pounding . . . .

Rgr.  I'm not a Mac guy, so there's only so much direct help I can
give.  I'll help when I know an answer or two, and keep quiet
otherwise.