[Xastir] snag trying to install shapelib via source onto mac os X 10.5

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Fri Sep 17 13:33:51 EDT 2010

-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  63440 Sep 16 21:05 lib

Was this file created Sep 16 at 21:05?

I opened the console and searched for the string "usr/local/lib" and
found this as the first entry:

2010-09-16 17:49:25  sudo[47864] tomwegner : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/
tomwegner/Downloads/shapelib-1.2.10 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/cp
libshp.a/usr/local/lib

followed by:

2010-09-16 17:49:52  sudo[47866] tomwegner : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/
tomwegner/Downloads/shapelib-1.2.10 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/
ranlib /usr/local/lib/libshp.a

which, if I am recalling correctly, is probably coinciding with the
timing of my attempt to first run the instructions for the shapelib
dowload and build. This would have been my first reception of the "not
a directory" message.

I am not certain what you mean by checking "the directions up to this
point . . ." as I am not aware of any directions that asked me to
create a lib item prior to this step. Outside of yesterdays
activities, I am quite certain I never used the terminal for anything.
Perhaps it was created yesterday in the process of:

downloading the Developer Tools
Installing MacPorts
the running of "sudo /opt/local/bin/port selfupdate" which I thought
was an online update of the MacPorts software
or the downloading/building of the MacPorts software "sudo /opt/local/
bin/port install curl imagemagick openmotif pcre db42 lcms proj gdal
libpng libxml2".

Now that I revisited that in my mind, there was an error I made. I had
typed . . . "openmotifpcre" . . . as one word; at the end of the
process I received notice that no such item existed (or some such
instruction) and looking at the printout, decided there should be a
space there, so re-entered the command with only "openmotif pcre" in
the install list, and that seemed to work fine. Not thinking that
might be the source of the problem, but wanted to mention it as it was
different than the procedure as laid out in the instructions. I
noticed a lot of things were being done in the 3 or so hours it took
for that original command to execute, but I would think if something
went wrong in there, others would have run into it as well.

Where will I find information regarding who the owner and group should
be and what the permissions should be?

I know nothing about command line, but . . . is it possible the
command should have been:

sudo cp libshp.a /usr/local/lib/libshp.a

instead of

sudo cp libshp.a /usr/local/lib

?