[Xastir] snag trying to install shapelib via source onto mac os X 10.5

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Sep 17 19:03:39 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 05:43:27PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM, T Wegner <towegn at tds.net> wrote:
> > so I take it this means it's a file instead of a directory. Let me be
> > perfectly honest here . . . I have no idea what I'm doing. lol
> >
> > Should I delete the lib file and make a lib directory here?
>
> You'll have to, before lots of stuff will install correctly.

> > Is there something in that lib file of importance and I should not delete?
>
> That's the $64k question.  I'd just rename it, then continue with the
> build process (a "make install" will most likely create /usr/local/lib
> correctly for you).

>From an earlier email, there was a description of how libshp.a was *copied*
to /usr/local/lib right before the attempted ranlib, but before /usr/local/lib
was created.  I don't know what instructions Tom was following, but they're
not the instructions from Xastir's INSTALL document (which tell one to run
"make lib_install" in Shapelib's directory), but rather some platform-specific
instructions from elsewhere.  At any rate, libshp.a was simply "cp"'d into
place, not "installed."

(BTW, Tom's note in which he shows the sudo log with a "cp" is:

http://www.mail-archive.com/xastir@lists.xastir.org/msg04153.html
)

Thus, there is a huge probability that the file /usr/local/lib
is nothing more than the contents of libshp.a.  Try running diff on the
/usr/local/lib file and the libshp.a that was supposed to have been installed
there.  I betcha dollars to donuts it simply prints nothing, indicating that
the files are identical.  Another clue would be that libshp.a in the shapelib
sources has the same size as /usr/local/lib.

Renaming /usr/local/lib and then doing an mkdir /usr/local/lib is a prudent
step that avoids deleting something permanently, but probably unnecessary
since it is almost certainly the case that /usr/local/lib (the plain file) is
just a copy of libshp.a.  Removing it and then doing an mkdir (with appropriate
chmod to get permissions right) will almost certainly be correct.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."