[Xastir] Maps Offline?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 04:51:46 EDT 2010

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Kurt Savegnago wrote:

>  Now if Xastir could be made to download the OSM maps while using them
> (at varying resolutions) and then allow access to them from cache without an internet connection, that would be kicking A--!

It's been mentioned on here several times.  Do a Google search for:

     Cloudmade OSM Shapefiles

Then go to that site and drill down to the country and state.
Download just the file that has "shapefile" in the title.  Expand
that in your Xastir maps directory somewhere and then reindex your
maps.  Vector OSM maps.  Not anywhere near as pretty as the OSM
raster tiles, but functional.

You'll need the dbfawk files that are in CVS Xastir to render them
properly.