[Xastir] Maps Offline?

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 13:50:13 EDT 2010

Kurt,

I ran into the same question. Wanted to access maps offline. Curt brings
up a very good reference about Cloudmade.

Here is the site.

http://cloudmade.com/

Go to the "Mappers" section and a menu will drop down and click on
Download. You will see the different areas you can access, from around
the globe. Your only limit is your disk size. All you need are the
shapefiles that are in a compressed file. The maps as mentioned earlier
aren't as "pretty" as the OSM maps but are very effective for what I
believe you are looking for. Just follow the instructions on the wiki
about where to put maps and you'll be in business.

73 John