[Xastir] Maps Offline?

Kurt Savegnago ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 20 07:51:35 EDT 2010

For some weird reason when operating at a zoom level of 269 with the Cloudmade shapefiles I downloaded, I get blotches
of black which I think are streets and red "X's" obviously marking something all over the map.  When I zoom down, I see two lines for each street with all of the labeling correct.
I don't know if it is getting jumbled from my stock installation parameters.

Nonetheless, the TAMU 2006 maps are the most trouble free to install. Just take the zipfile, stick it into /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GPS and unzip them. If I uncheck Auto Maps, Xastir will download whatever I have chosen
in Map Chooser and display it.  I sometimes have to tweak the levels but it works pretty good.  I recheck Auto Maps and the 2006 SE maps come back up.

For tracking rockets and R/C stuff, it's fine.  I understand the reason is technical for not being able to directly cache and use but that's O.K.
I still use it the most out of all the apps out there.

                                   Kurt KC9LDH