[Xastir] libtiff / geotiff install hiccup

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Sep 20 21:42:44 EDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 07:57:01PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <towegn at tds.net> flavor, containing:
>> presuming i found a source for libtiff, and was advised to use the
>> following instructions for loading on to mac os x
>
> Where are you getting your instructions?  They seem to be fairly incomplete
> and in at least some cases (where you were told to do manual copies and
> ranlibs of libshp) they're not quite normal.  And it seems you're being told
> to install just about every single package from sources without using any
> package management (fink, macports, or whatever).  These do not seem to be
> the best set of instructions to follow for a low-maintenance first-time install
> onto a Mac.  The Xastir wiki has multiple sets of instructions for installing
> onto Macs, and none suggest doing full, manual source installs of all these
> packages.

I would certainly recommend using MacPorts or Fink to get all of this stuff installed.  The only trick with that is going to be pointing Xastir to look in the right place for all of that stuff with LDFLAGS/CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS, etc.

> But in general, the default behavior of "configure" is to install things
> in /usr/local (that is, it is redundant to specify "--prefix=/usr/local").
> So doing configure/make/make install on libtiff is a normal approach to
> installing it from source.  But it's strange to need to do all those steps
> on a Mac, unless you're avoiding MacPorts and Fink for some particular
> reason.  And there's a recent binary version available that would probably
> suit you better unless you really want to learn exactly what all these
> steps are for.

I think his problem with my binary version is that it's for Intel only.  I believe I saw earlier in the thread that he's on PPC.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com