[Xastir] libtiff / geotiff install hiccup

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Tue Sep 21 01:09:30 EDT 2010

> Where are you getting your instructions?

Well, it's a long story, but I started here:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Installation_Notes#Mac_OSX

looked into the VMWare option, decided against since it was a limited
time deal, and didn't want to be locked out down the road - had no
idea how long it might take me to get things going.

so next went here:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Mac_OSX

but when I saw this:

"Some people have reported problems with Fink. I haven't encountered
any yet so I still use it. Fink is a package manager that will keep
you from having to build all the Xastir dependencies from source.

I also continue to use fink. I have had problems with FinkCommander
(the GUI interface for Fink) but the core utilities continue to work
fine. Dick."

I thought, 1) if people are having trouble with it, I want to avoid
it, as I have no command line experience, and 2) as in the above
example and others, it was unclear to me exactly who was saying what,
and to whom . . . at times it sounded as though the author and "Dick"
were 2 different people, at other times, not.

continuing down the list, I went here:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Macports

which directed me to here:

http://n1ofz.connares.org/software/Xastir

which gives me a "network problem" message and no access

so I went here:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/MacOSXpackage

which was another dead end

next here:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/MacOSXsource

directing me to the same dead end

and then:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Notes:Mac_OSX

much of which I did not understand, and in the end, was once again
referenced to that same dead end.

SO . . .

I did a search for "Xastir" and "Mac" and landed here:

http://www.wx9grb.org/xastir/mac.htm

and I thought, Eureka!  I'm familiar with the Packerland group (name
credibility via Skywarn), and they seem to have the information from
the site I was unable to access above in all those dead end instances,
and reading through it, it seemed oriented toward operators such as
myself, with little command line experience, and quite doable.

Following the sites instructions, I installed what I could using
MacPorts. The instructions noted that shapelib and geotiff can not be
installed with MacPorts, and provided the instructions I've been
posting in my "problem threads". This is where I've run into the
troubles.

I did a search for libtiff and mac this evening, came up with a source
(for a different program, but like this one, need to install it first
- called it a "dependency"), and the instructions in the last post. I
did that, watched as the screen scrolled by with lots of alpha-
numerics, saw a number of "no" conditions and it ended with some
warning/errors. When I tried to continue with the geotiff configure
and make, I ended up with the same "configure: error: You will need to
substantially rewrite libxtiff to build libgeotiff without libtiff"
message. I moved the libtiff library out of the tiff-3.9.4 folder and
into the libgeotiff folder thinking it did not know the where the
libtiff library was, that did nothing, and I stopped.

I believe I have hit a brick wall in this direction. Would like the
ability to use USGS geoTIFF's but unless someone can point me in a
direction to solve the libtiff conundrum, I guess I could live without
it, or wait until someone develops something to make this work
seamlessly.

Re: other discussion about intel mac, it will be some time before I
can afford a new macbook, and even then, I wouldn't dream of taking it
into the field - only older computers for that for me.

Thanks for listening, the help you've given thus far, and any advice
you may provide yet.

73
Tom