[Xastir] libtiff / geotiff install hiccup

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Sep 21 01:59:26 EDT 2010

I think what Tom is trying to convey is that you've chosen a hard row to hoe for yourself.  Compiling and installing things by hand on the command line can be problematic for even people familiar with the command line.  I sometimes have to do a lot of research to figure out issues, and I've been doing the UNIX command line, and GNU autoconf based installations for nearly 20 years now.

On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:09 PM, T Wegner wrote:

> I thought, 1) if people are having trouble with it, I want to avoid it, as I have no command line experience, and 2) as in the above example and others, it was unclear to me exactly who was saying what, and to whom . . . at times it sounded as though the author and "Dick" were 2 different people, at other times, not.

My understanding is that the information on Fink being problematic is mildly old.  Either way, avoiding it because you have no command line experience and compiling by hand is much like saying that you've heard that people are having problems buying bolts from Home Depot, and because you have limited experience in machining bolts, you're going to machine your own.  You're not avoiding the command line by going the direction you're headed, you're diving head first into it.

> I did a search for libtiff and mac this evening, came up with a source (for a different program, but like this one, need to install it first - called it a "dependency"), and the instructions in the last post. I did that, watched as the screen scrolled by with lots of alpha-numerics, saw a number of "no" conditions and it ended with some warning/errors. When I tried to continue with the geotiff configure and make, I ended up with the same "configure: error: You will need to substantially rewrite libxtiff to build libgeotiff without libtiff" message. I moved the libtiff library out of the tiff-3.9.4 folder and into the libgeotiff folder thinking it did not know the where the libtiff library was, that did nothing, and I stopped.

To compile things for my binary distribution, I have the following packages downloaded as prerequisites on MacOS X 10.5:

curl-7.19.6
db-4.8.24
gdal-1.6.1
lesstif-0.95.2
libgeotiff-1.2.5
pcre-8.00
proj-4.5.0b4
shapelib-1.2.10
tiff-3.8.2
ImageMagick-6.5.4-5

And of course, the CVS version of Xastir checked out with fresh sources.  I use the following configure lines with the packages:

curl-7.19.6:
	./configure
db-4.8.24:
	../dist/configure
gdal-1.6.1:
	./configure
lesstif-0.95.2:
	./configure
libgeotiff-1.2.5:
	./configure --with-ld-shared="gcc -dynamiclib -all_load --install_name /usr/local/lib/"
pcre-8.0.0:
	./configure
proj-4.5.0b4:
	./configure
shapelib-1.2.10:
	DOES NOT USE GNU AUTCONF.
tiff-3.8.2:
	./configure
ImageMagick-6.5.4-5:
	./configure --without-modules --disable-installed --enable-embeddable

I use a configure line for Xastir something like:
	./configure --without-ax25 --without-festival --without-gpsman --with-bdb-libdir =/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.8/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.8/include

If you have problems finding these files, I made them available for download at:

http://www.nh6z.net/xastir-distfiles/

Note that the list is not in any particular order.  You may need to compile one thing before another, I'd have to dig out my notes to find out which ones are that way.  As you've already discovered, libtiff needs to be installed before libgeotiff.

> Re: other discussion about intel mac, it will be some time before I can afford a new macbook, and even then, I wouldn't dream of taking it into the field - only older computers for that for me.

I guess I'm rich.  My 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro is nearly falling apart after five years of use in college and law school.  I'm getting ready to get rid of my last PPC box.

I'm the guy who packaged up the binary distribution for Intel Macs.  I can probably provide some commentary for you, but I'm fairly busy until the DCC is over with in Vancouver next weekend.  I've had conferences to go to most of this month, so it's been keeping me behind on my e-mail.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com