[Xastir] libtiff / geotiff install hiccup

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Tue Sep 21 06:33:38 EDT 2010

Hi Tom,

On 21/09/2010, at 3:09 PM, T Wegner wrote:

> Following the sites instructions, I installed what I could using
> MacPorts. The instructions noted that shapelib and geotiff can not
> be installed with MacPorts, and provided the instructions I've been
> posting in my "problem threads". This is where I've run into the
> troubles.

Shapelib and libgeotiff are both in the Macports repository.  They are
listed as having no maintainer, but they do install and work for me.

http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=library&substr=libgeotiff
http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=library&substr=shapelib

and the repository also contains Xastir 1.9.8

http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=xastir

To get Xastir 1.9.8 should just require;

sudo port install xastir

with a reasonably recent Macports update which should install all the
dependancies.

You can then disable 1.9.8 using;

sudo port disable xastir

and then follow the cvs instructions to install 1.9.9.

You might need to specify the db include and lib directories;

sh bootstrap.sh
./configure --with-bdb-incdir=/opt/local/include/db46/ --with-bdb-
libdir=/opt/local/lib/db46/
make
sudo make install

NOTE:  This will put Xastir into /usr/local/[bin|share]/ and not into /
opt as MacPorts uses.

This is all working on my dual 2.7Ghz G5 PowerMac  running Leopard.  I
haven't tried them on an intel mac in a while, but they were working 6
months ago.

Carl,
(vk1kcm)