[Xastir] libtiff / geotiff install hiccup

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Tue Sep 21 13:06:18 EDT 2010

another day, a new hope, an eternal idiot . . . take your pick.

Thanks again to all for trying to help me, I'm a bit taken aback,
after having dealt with a quite different level of support following
my last attempt at getting an APRS system running, but no sour grapes.

I did a download of tiff-3.8.2 from the NH6Z site
did the tar-xvzf tiff-3.8.2.tar.gz
then cd /tiff-3.8.2
then ./configure

that process ended thus:

libtool: link: creating iptcutil
Making all in mac-cw
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in mac-mpw
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in mfs
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in ojpeg
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in pds
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in ras
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in stream
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in tags
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in win_dib
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
Making all in test
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in man
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in html
Making all in images
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in man
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
bash-3.2$

should I next run the:

make
sudo make install

commands, or is this unnecessary?

Also, i notice with some of these files, such as the shapelib,
geotiff, and tiff, that I am able to unzip them via "regular
means" (in the gui interface). Is there any reason why I should do it
via the tar-xvzf in x11?

73
Tom W