[Xastir] Learning to use CVS with Ubuntu

Bob Nielsen n7xy at clearwire.net
Mon Sep 20 22:10:37 EDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 6:53 PM, Jerry wrote:

> I have xastir 1.9.4-3.1 installed and running on a Windows 7 netbook using
> virtualbox with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on the virtualbox side.  The Synaptic
> Package Manager shows this older Xastir Version and when I use the Package "
> Mark for Complete Removal",  xastir remains as a package but not installed
> rather than disappearing from the list completely.  I believe I have to get
> this version removed to the point it no longer shows in the Synaptic Package
> Manager.  Only then do I feel I have a shot at updating xastir to version
> 1.9.9.

Since a version of Xastir exists in the Ubuntu repository, it will always show up in Synaptic.  If you edit the update-xastir script to use "checkinstall" instead of "make install" the package manager will recognize your self-compiled version.

Or you could just let the package manager think that you don't have Xastir on your system.  Since the script installs it in /usr/local/bin, there should be no conflicts.