[Xastir] Learning to use CVS with Ubuntu

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Sep 20 22:14:11 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 06:53:40PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n7yge at q.com> flavor, containing:
> I have xastir 1.9.4-3.1 installed and running on a Windows 7 netbook using
> virtualbox with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on the virtualbox side.  The Synaptic
> Package Manager shows this older Xastir Version and when I use the Package "
> Mark for Complete Removal",  xastir remains as a package but not installed
> rather than disappearing from the list completely.  I believe I have to get
> this version removed to the point it no longer shows in the Synaptic Package
> Manager.  Only then do I feel I have a shot at updating xastir to version
> 1.9.9.

No.  If you run synaptic, mark for removal, and apply, then the package will
remain in the list, but show as uninstalled --- just like everything else
you haven't installed.

> I ran through the CVS process and it appeared it runs
> sudo/usr/src/bin/xastir/update-xastir okay for Version 1.9.9 but is not
> overriding/updating the older version.  I would assume if the update was
> happening, it would show the correct updated version in the Synaptic Package
> Manager.  Here is the last parts of the update-xastir run (bootstrap.sh was
> comleted and the below is the ./configure part of the run):

[a whole lotta stuff that looks to be a completely successful build and
 install deleted]

> Mon Sep 20 17:07:24 PDT 2010
> jerry at jerry-netbook:~/src/xastir$
>

> Apologize for sending all the script but you might see a hint as to why I am
> not seeing the newer xastir version or tell me where it got installed; if it
> did.  Or you might know how I can do a 100% delete of xastire and try a
> fresh load from ground zero.

When you say "I am not seeing the newer xastir version", where are you
looking?  If you're expecting to see the version change in Synaptic, you're
looking in the wrong place.  The only things that will ever be there are
the official binary package versions, and they have nothing to do with the
manual install process you just finished.

>From your shell prompt, type "type xastir" and see what it tells you.  That
should tell you that xastir is found and in /usr/local/bin.

The normal install of Xastir through the process you followed would deposit
Xastir into /usr/local/bin (and other supporting files in /usr/local/lib and
/usr/local/share).  Your new Xastir binary should be in /usr/local/bin,
and you should be able to run it from the command line by typing "xastir &"
In the About Xastir dialog from the Help menu, you should see that you now
have version 1.9.9.

If you're not careful, though, your existing configuration files from the
lot of its files, which is now wrong.

If you have not invested a lot of time using your previous install of xastir,
you can simply move the rename your ~/.xastir directory (e.g.
"mv .xastir dotxastir_save") and let the new Xastir reconstruct it.

If you *have* spent a lot of time configuring xastir from the previous install,
you have to hand-edit .xastir/config/xastir.cnf and change all the places
where the string "/usr/share" appears to read "/usr/local/share" instead.
Also, if you have any local maps stored in /usr/share/xastir/maps, you need to
move them to /usr/local/share/xastir/maps.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."