[Xastir] Stable Release forthcoming: Get your punches in now!

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 13:38:05 EDT 2010

It's about time for another stable release, what with the Tigermap
server going away, all of Jerry's work on OSM maps, and a few other
good bug-fixes.

Schedule:

*) Wait a bit for people to get their important tweaks committed.
    We'll shoot for Oct 3rd, midnight PST (a Sunday).

*) Enter code-freeze:  Only bug-fixes to existing code are allowed
    (No enhancements or new features).

*) Assure the current codebase is stable.  I expect this step to
    take a week or two.  If the general consensus is that the
    codebase is quite stable, we'll conclude this step earlier rather
    than later.  If multiple bug-fixes are committed during the
    code-freeze we may extend this waiting period.

*) Push out the stable release and end the code-freeze.

If any developer has important patches nearly ready but can't make
the Oct 3rd date, let us know and we'll revise things.

We'll most likely go with a 2.0.0 version number this time.  We're
only allowed three letters or digits after the "APX" in the TO call
and we're already at 1.9.9.  We _could_ bump it from 1.9.9 to 1.10.0
and transmit "APX1A0" (A = 10 in hex) over the air, but what's the
point?