[Xastir] Maps Offline?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 12:57:33 EDT 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Kurt Savegnago wrote:

>  Yeah, I see it in the map chooser but I realize now that everything in
> /usr/local/share/xastir/maps is accessible to be read

Correct.

> and the syntax in
> the options governs whether or not the online resource is accessed.

Yea kind'a.  Some "special" map options depend on special code,
dbfawk files, and/or options in the map file you select (.geo has
some options).

>   The CloudMade shapefiles has multiple stuff like poi etc. that
>   can be altered with AutoMaps "on" or "off". That's why it was so
>   cluttered.

No.  Don't use "AutoMaps".  There are some special applications for
that option which is why it hasn't been deprecated, but for general
use you don't use it.  What it does is select ALL maps in the maps
directory which fit in your current view.  In almost all cases it's
a bad idea.  Now you'd create subdirectories for each type of map
you want and select that subdirectory to select all maps inside,
plus use the Map Levels (Properties button in Map Chooser gets you
there) to vary the drawing order.

Deselect the extra stuff you don't want from the Cloudmade
shapefiles by deselecting the individual files in Map Chooser.  If
you're not seeing the individual files in Map Chooser then select
"Expand Dirs" there.

>  Just have to monkey with it some more.  The TAMU maps though are still
> optimized for xastir and really easy to institute with a newbie.

Which TAMU maps?  That's an ftp side made available to us by Gerry
Creager, but has quite a few different types of maps on it.  Do you
mean the Tiger/Line shapefile-format maps that are there?