[Xastir] Macintosh Snow Leopard + Xastir 2 + Kenwood TM-D710A = ?

Jarett DeAngelis jdeangelis at alumni.nd.edu
Tue Apr 12 22:57:06 EDT 2011

Hi gang,

I'm trying to figure out how to get my Kenwood TM-D710A working with Xastir on my Snow Leopard-powered Mac.

I have a Prolific Technology serial-USB Kenwood cable that I know works at least to program the radio with under Windows.  I know the programming cable doubles as a TNC connection cable.  I am pretty sure that you put the TNC into "PACKET12" mode to make it ready to transmit data via the port on the back of the head unit.

Then what?  I tried configuring Xastir to use a "Serial KISS TNC" on /dev/ttys0.  When I start the device in Interface Control, Xastir freezes.  Not really sure where to proceed from here.

Thanks in advance, folks.  I would RTFM if I had one ;)