[Xastir] Macintosh Snow Leopard + Xastir 2 + Kenwood TM-D710A = ?

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Apr 12 23:25:04 EDT 2011

On Apr 12, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Jarett DeAngelis wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to get my Kenwood TM-D710A working with Xastir on my Snow Leopard-powered Mac.
>
> I have a Prolific Technology serial-USB Kenwood cable that I know works at least to program the radio with under Windows.  I know the programming cable doubles as a TNC connection cable.  I am pretty sure that you put the TNC into "PACKET12" mode to make it ready to transmit data via the port on the back of the head unit.
>
> Then what?  I tried configuring Xastir to use a "Serial KISS TNC" on /dev/ttys0.  When I start the device in Interface Control, Xastir freezes.  Not really sure where to proceed from here.

You have to use the correct serial port name.  /dev/ttys0 is for Linux.  My Prolific based serial interface shows up as /dev/cu.PL2303-00004326.  At a command line prompt, do something like:

ls /dev/cu.*

And you'll show all the appropriate serial devices.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com