[Xastir] OSM ubuntu 10.10 problems

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:13:13 EST 2011

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011, Josh Smith wrote:

> I searched for this file and found it located in
> /usr/local/share/xastir/, however it seems that /usr/share/xastir was
> hanging around from my previous install from the Ubuntu package
> system.
>
> I tried removing /usr/share/xastir first but when I did that xastir
> failed to start with the following error:
> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found? /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
>
> I was able to work around this error by creating a symlink
> /usr/share/xastir -> /usr/local/share/xastir.

Ah...  More info!  It sounds like you were running Xastir from a pre-packaged binary earlier.  I don't think you mentioned that before or I would have given you a different method to solve it:

     Exit Xastir
     From an Xterm:
         "cd"
         "mv .xastir .xastir.old"
     Start Xastir

This will bring Xastir up with default settings which point to the default install areas instead of the areas that your earlier binary install pointed to.  The instructions above move your local Xastir user-config directory out of the way so that the new Xastir binary can create a new one and default files to go in it.  You can see your old settings inside the ~/.xastir.old/ directory if you need them for configuring the new one.

The state you're in now is a bit of a cross-pollination between both installs.  Some of your paths in ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf are still pointing to the old install locations.