[Xastir] OSM ubuntu 10.10 problems

Josh Smith juicewvu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:23:24 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011, Josh Smith wrote:
>
>> I searched for this file and found it located in
>> /usr/local/share/xastir/, however it seems that /usr/share/xastir was
>> hanging around from my previous install from the Ubuntu package
>> system.
>>
>> I tried removing /usr/share/xastir first but when I did that xastir
>> failed to start with the following error:
>> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found?
>> /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
>>
>> I was able to work around this error by creating a symlink
>> /usr/share/xastir -> /usr/local/share/xastir.
>
> Ah...  More info!  It sounds like you were running Xastir from a
> pre-packaged binary earlier.  I don't think you mentioned that before or I
> would have given you a different method to solve it:
>
>    Exit Xastir
>    From an Xterm:
>        "cd"
>        "mv .xastir .xastir.old"
>    Start Xastir

Sorry for not mentioning I had a previous install from a pre-packaged
binary, I didn't realize it was pertinent to the issue.

> This will bring Xastir up with default settings which point to the default
> install areas instead of the areas that your earlier binary install pointed
> to.  The instructions above move your local Xastir user-config directory out
> of the way so that the new Xastir binary can create a new one and default
> files to go in it.  You can see your old settings inside the ~/.xastir.old/
> directory if you need them for configuring the new one.
>
> The state you're in now is a bit of a cross-pollination between both
> installs.  Some of your paths in ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf are still
> pointing to the old install locations.

Instead of removing my .xastir directory and starting anew I was able
to correct this issue by replacing any references to /usr/share in my
xastir.cnf with /usr/local/sare.

<snip>

Thanks  and 73's,
--