[Xastir] TH-D2A xastir com port issue

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 23:56:04 EST 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Kurt Savegnago wrote:

> I find the script for the D7 works for the D72 but was wondering if
> anyone is considering a different one as I guess there were some
> limitations with it?

It's an easy thing to add more files, so if someone comes up with necessary D72-specific changes we can create new ones in the Xastir repository.

> Well, I like to track amateur rockets and if there was an occasion
> where there were two flights going at once with one on 2m and the other on 70cm, I could track both on the same program or have one in Astir and one in aprsis32.  I've already tracked two different
> frequencies on the same instance of Xastir.  Both 2m and 70cm trackers where successfully tracked on the same Xastir map.

If you need two views at once, you can run two instances of Xastir.  Check out the "-c" command-line option.  Here's how I run a 2nd and 3rd instance of Xastir for testing (added these aliases to my .profile, or my .alias file which is sourced by my .profile):

     alias xastir2='xastir -c /home/archer/.xastir2 &'
     alias xastir3='xastir -c /home/archer/.xastir3 &'

"-c <dir>" makes Xastir create an alternate config directory and populate it with defaults during the first run.  Succeeding runs with "-c <dir>" make Xastir use the directory each time.  So I start them up like this:

     xastir  &
     xastir2 &
     xastir3 &

You can feed one or more Xastir instances by activating "Enable Server Ports" in one instance and connecting to the "Internet Server" localhost:2023 from the others.

-Or-

Start up one or more AX.25 kernel networking ports and connect all Xastir instances to the AX.25 networking ports directly.  There's a HOWTO on the www.xastir.org Wiki pages for Soundmodem and for AX.25.  You can run Digi_NED from the same port(s) at the same time as well if you like.