[Xastir] Config file for TM-D710A config script?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jul 1 18:09:48 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 02:51:54PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Jarett DeAngelis wrote:
>
> > Hi gang,
> >
> > I tried using this script to configure my TM-D710A for operation with XASTIR
> > through my USB serial adapter to Ubuntu Linux, as seen here:
> > http://lists.xastir.org/pipermail/xastir/2010-November/019368.html
> >
> > I run
> >
> >        packetrig.sh vhf-d710-packet
> >
> > And it comes back telling me it's looking for a configuration file called
> > tmd710_tncsetup.  Where does one get this?
> >
> > Thanks.  It seems that the script is not all you need to get going.
>
> We have a tnc-startup.d700 file in xastir/config/ (Xastir sources) or /usr/local/share/xastir/config/ (installed location).
>
> We don't have any D710-specific files in Xastir sources.
>
> I don't have any Kenwood APRS radios so probably can't help you too much more directly.
>
> I looked up the original thread to see if a D710-specific script to the mailing list.  Looks like there were several postings to that thread, 11/28/2010 and 11/29/2010, so you might want to read them all.

I dug around a little on the web site mentioned in the original note.
"tmd710_setup" is a program that can be found with a little effort on that
site by drilling down through a raw directory he provides access to.

But this script and its associated program are NOT part of xastir, and should
not be absolutely required to get Xastir running with the D710.  In fact,
the script for CentOS that you reference is likely to be overkill.

None of the developers that I'm aware of has a D710, so nobody's committed
tnc-startup.d710 for Xastir.

As Curt mentions, though, a suggested start-up file for Xastir with the D710
appears later in the thread.  You might have better luck starting there and
using it as a Serial TNC (not KISS).  You should probably also work out
the right commands to put the D710 back into normal APRS mode when Xastir
shuts down the interface.  You might be able to crib that off of the
tnc-stop.d700 file (it should be in /usr/local/share/xastir/config/).

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey