[Xastir] No DBFAWK signature for ...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Sep 6 12:01:34 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:07:05AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <huston at srhuston.net> flavor, containing:
> I see in the list archives that this issue is mentioned a few places,
> usually with "don't worry about it"; I'm worrying simply because it's
> new, and the only thing to have changed is that my power went out last
> night and the machine was shut down.  I'm wondering if some cache file
> somewhere is corrupted all of a sudden?
>
> No DBFAWK signature for z_04au11.shp!  Using default.
> No DBFAWK signature for mz07jl11.shp!  Using default.

Looking at the file names, it appears that you have very, very recent
NOAA weather shapefiles, and that it must be the case that they've once again
changed the field names or ordering of fields or number of fields in the
DBF files.  They do this now and then, and every time they do we have to
create new dbfawk files to support them.

I usually don't bother to update my weather shapefiles for long periods (years)
because counties and zones don't really change that much -- but they monkey
with the  attribute structure so often that it usually causes this problem
whenever you upgrade the files.  It was a bit ridiculous in 2010,
when there were three different incompatible updates to the zone file, which
is why there are three different dbfawk files for 2010 in the config directory.

Could you please post the results of this command:

testdbfawk -D /usr/local/share/xastir/config -d /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties/z_04au11.shp 2|& head -2

(Replace the file name with the right path if I've got it wrong.)
This will print out the DBF signature of the  zone file you have.  Mine
says

sig: STATE:ZONE:CWA:NAME:STATE_ZONE:TIME_ZONE:FE_AREA:CEN_LAT:CEN_LON:LON:LAT:SHORTNAME

which matches a dbfawk in the config directory (and indicates that I haven't
updated my zone file in 3 years!).  Yours is probably different,
and it might be a trivial fix to add another dbfawk file that matches, or
if they've really monkeyed with the structure, a little more work.   The
fact is, our DBFAWK files only look at the state_zone and  name fields, so
the trick is usually just to create a new dbfawk file with the adjusted
signature.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey