[Xastir] Almost there - but no TX

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Aug 20 15:08:47 EDT 2012

Before I get into this, you really should look at the built-in Help feature in
Xastir.  Choose Help->Help Index and select the "Configure Serial KISS TNC"
entry.  It explains the right way to set up a serial KISS TNC such as the one
you're using.  There is also a section on configuring AX.25 interfaces, should
you choose to go back to trying that (your description below suggests that
you've given up on that approach).

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 02:46:47PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <qrv at kd4e.com> flavor, containing:
> Xastir on laptop in Linux.
> ArgentData OT3m/Tracker 3
> Alinco DR-135T
>
> I have followed the following setup instructions:

[ 1. -8. elided]

So far these look good, although you reboot your computer a lot more than
should be necessary.  Linux is not Windows, and rebooting is rarely required.

> 9. Type "MYCALL KD4E-9" Hit [Return] and you should get a confirmation
> of your command.
>
> 10. Type "BEACON Testing my TNC". Hit [Return] and you should see the
> red Tx LED on the Tracker 3 light up and your radio should key up and
> send the beacon.

If you intend to use your Tracker 3 in KISS mode, these two steps are not
necessary.

> 11. Type "USBKISS on" and hit [Return]. This will just give you a blank
> line in minicom.
>
> 12. Hit [Ctrl]+[A] and then hit [X] to exit minicom and release the
> serial port.

Up to this point, you have described the process for putting the Tracker 3
into KISS mode (I see you appear to have abandoned your attempt to get AX.25
networking running, which is a good idea given how much trouble you've had
so far -- KISS is simpler).  This is entirely appropriate if you plan to use
your tracker 3 as a KISS TNC.

Then you make this mistake:

> 13. Start Xastir. Click the Interface menu, then Interface control.
>
> 14. Click the Add button, then select "Serial TNC"

Bzzzt.

In Xastir, "Serial TNC" means, roughly, "TNC2-compatible TNC in CMD/CONVERSE
mode" whereas you have just put your TNC into KISS mode instead.  Wrong
interface type.  In KISS mode, the TNC does not respond to commands that CMD
mode does, and expects the program writing to it to format transmitted data in
a completely different way -- thus, you can't use this interface type when
connecting Xastir to a KISS TNC.

You need to select "Serial KISS TNC" instead.  This tells Xastir to send its
data to the TNC in KISS format, that the TNC is not expecting commands in
CMD format, and that it should not try to put the TNC into "Converse" mode.

Everything you describe after this step is consistent with having the TNC in
KISS mode, but telling Xastir that the TNC isn't in KISS mode.

> 15. Use these settings:
>      - TNC Port: /dev/ttyACM0
>      - Comment: Tracker 3
>      - Port Settings: 115200bps
>      - Port Style: 8,N,1
>      - I-Gate Options: Disable all I-Gate traffic
>      - Leave the UnProto paths at defaults
>      - TNC Setup Filename: tnc-startup.null
>      - TNC Shutdown Filename: tnc-stop.sys

These confirm that you have picked the wrong type of interface for your
KISS TNC.  These are ONLY applicable when the TNC has a roughly TNC2-compatible
CMD command set, and is left in CMD mode.  "Serial KISS TNC" has a
completely different set of options in its dialog.  KISS TNC set-up dialogs
don't have Setup and Shutdown file options.

> NOTES:
>
> D.  What Xastir setting might block the transmit, please?

You've left your TNC in KISS mode, and Xastir is sending non-KISS data to it.
The TNC has no idea what to do with that data.

Delete your Serial TNC interface in Xastir, then define a Serial KISS TNC
instead.

> E.  Is there a way to reset all Xastir settings to default so then I
> 	may set it up from scratch?

There is, but you needn't bother.  The smallest change you need is to open
Interface->Interface Control, select the "Serial TNC" interface you just
defined, then click "Delete."  Then create a new interface using "Serial KISS
TNC" instead.

If you really, truly want to reset Xastir to zero, then exit Xastir and remove
its configuration directory:

  rm -rf ~/.xastir

This will delete *ALL* data that Xastir reads on start-up, including any map
settings, your callsign, interfaces, etc.  It should be unnecessary to fix
what's broken in your set-up right now.