[Xastir] Won't transmit anymore

Dean Groe warpedspeed1 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 13:07:53 EST 2012

I have never had good luck with USB -> Serial converters in a constant use configuration.  I only buy the FTDI versions when it is my choice, but still I find that they are not reliable in long term use.  I have used them with both Debian and Suse, as well as Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro, all on different PCs, and I usually have to "bounce" the interface in one fashion or another within about 48 hours of constant use.  I have seen this with both USB 1.1 and USB 2 ports.  Thankfully the last few PCs that I have used for my Xastir I-Gate / Wx Station have had two real Serial ports in them.

Those converters are nice to have and come in real handy for temporary use.  I use them all the time, just not in a 24x7 mode.

I do not have Linux here in front of me now, but I know that in the past when I have had the FTDI USB -> Serial adapters "loose track" of the ports, I have had to bounce the USB to Serial modules as well as the FTDI modules to bring it back online.  Simply bouncing the FTDI modules was not enough.

Check the dmesg output and look for messages related to ttyUSBx problems.  Like I said, I do not have Linux in front of me now, so I am working off of overloaded memory (FIFO at that!!), therefore I do not have specific messages and module names to share with you.  I am sure that you will see what I mean when you are at the console.

Dean  KD4TWJ

I tried deleting the port on Xastir and re-adding it, I also reloaded the FTDI device drivers, all to no avail.