[Xastir] KAM not transmitting and solution

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 19:44:05 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Stefano Sinagra <sinageruk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately you're totally right and I got too excited in seeing
> that some packets were sent.
> In fact I don't know why now one in a few "send" commands gets through now
> -maybe just garbage collection- but the problem it's still there.
>
> CMD: MYCALL IZ0MJE
> CMD: UNPROTO APX200 VIA WIDE2-2
> CMD: CONV
> CMD:    /�&=4151.1 N/01225.4 ExXASTIR-Linux
>>X:2<    /�&=4151.1 N/01225.4 ExXASTIR-Linux

Garbled characters on the serial connection?   Perhaps this:

From:  http://www.kantronics.com/support/faqs.html

"Q: Recently, my KAM has started displaying garbled characters on the
screen. It looks like machine language.

A: Over time, the filter capacitors in the KAM can dry out or suffer
some damage, causing the considerable ripple in negative voltage
supply in the KAM. Replacing these capacitors usually solves the
problem. The capacitors in question are on the front edge of the KAM
PC board, located between the bargraph and the switches. Both
capacitors are 10 microfarad electrolytic, rated at 50 volts or more,
but a cap with 35 volt rating will work. Replacements can be found at
Radio Shack or many other parts houses.
'''

I've replaced caps on 2 KAM's so far...

73