[Xastir] Make output on xastir 2.0.1

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:18:28 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 08:33:03PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
>> On 05/15/2012 02:42 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
>> > On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 02:34:00PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the<jjolin at itol.com>  flavor, containing:
>> >
>> > What system are you building on, James?
>> >
>> > I see you're linking both -lproj and -lgeotiff, and ordinarily pj_init,
>> > pj_inv, and pj_free are available in libproj, so this is puzzling.
>> >
>> > Did you install geotiff and proj from packages, or from source?
>> >
>> > The only guess I have is that on your system it might be necessary to
>> > "ranlib" libproj.a and libgeotiff.a, because on some systems if one doesn't
>> > do this then libraries need to be in a particular order --- i.e., since
>> > libgeotiff depends on libproj, without ranlib one might need "-lgeotiff -lproj"
>> > rather than "-lproj -lgeotiff".  I haven't seen *that* problem in many years,
>> > though (it was very common back when the earth was still cooling).
>> >
>> Ok here's the info.  I am using Mint 12 and I got the packages from
>> apt-get/synaptic.  You lost me on the ranlib thingy.  I assume that
>> ranlib is a command? I will stop here and see what my info brings.
>
> Oy.  No knowledge of Mint here.  Looking at the Linux Mint installation notes
> on the Wiki shows no special hints about geotiff, so I can't guess.

Linux Mint is pretty much Ubuntu - I think 12 is equivalent to Ubuntu
11.10, but I'm not 100% sure without looking it up.

So, if you install the dependent packages detailed at the following link...

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_11.10,_11.04_or_10.10

In theory it should work.  When using the geotiff package from the
repository, make sure to run configure using the following syntax:
configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff"

Normally leaving out the CPPFLAGS part alone doesn't cause compile
errors, however, so there is something else afoot. Hopefully it's just
a missing dependency of some sort.

Lee - K5DAT