[Xastir] Quirks compiling Xastir on Centos6

David A. Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Wed May 16 01:45:17 EDT 2012

Hello Tom,

> You can live without geotiff support, but if you want it you have to have
> both libproj and libgeotiff (and associated development headers) installed,
> and libgeotiff must be built to use libproj.
Ok, it seems that the Xastir ./configure script doesn't recognize that
geotiff is supported by the package "libgeotiff" as named in Centos:

# rpm -qa | grep -i -e libgeotiff
libgeotiff-1.2.5-5.el6.x86_64
libgeotiff-devel-1.2.5-5.el6.x86_64

In a later email from Lee Bengston, he recommended to another HAM:

      ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff"

I changed it to libgeotiff and with installing a missing gdal-devel, it *ALL* shows yes now!

      ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/libgeotiff"

xastir 2.0.1 has been configured to use the following
options and external libraries:

MINIMUM OPTIONS:
   ShapeLib (Vector maps) ................. : yes

RECOMMENDED OPTIONS:
   GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick (Raster maps) : yes (ImageMagick)
   pcre (Shapefile customization) ......... : yes
   dbfawk (Shapefile customization) ....... : yes
   rtree indexing (Shapefile speedups) .... : yes
   map caching (Raster map speedups) ...... : yes
   internet map retrieval ................. : yes (libcurl)

FOR THE ADVENTUROUS:
   AX25 (Linux Kernel I/O Drivers) ........ : yes
   libproj (USGS Topos & Aerial Photos) ... : yes
   GeoTiff (USGS Topos & Aerial Photos) ... : yes
   Festival (Text-to-speech) .............. : yes
   GDAL/OGR (Obtuse map formats) .......... : yes
   GPSMan/gpsmanshp (GPS downloads) ....... : yes

xastir will be installed in /usr/local/bin.
Type 'make' to build Xastir (Use 'gmake' instead on some systems).

There are a lot of other options available in the help for configure but
I don't know if those options are being enabled by default or not

   - Is GraphicsMagick recommended over ImageMagick?

   --with-motif-libs :: are these on by default?

    --with-postgis            Enable Postgresql with PostGIS
<------------------- Is it a good idea to enable the database
functionality (postgres or MySQL)?
   --with-mysql              Enable MySQL, with spatial support if
available.
   --with-bdb-libdir=DIR     Berkeley DB lib files are in DIR
   --with-bdb-incdir=DIR     Berkeley DB include files are in DIR

I also noticed that "Davis WX" is not enabled by default (it's also not
in the same section with all the other features)

>>> One or more of your selected maps has an image colorspace that Xastir doesn't
>>> like.  Unfortunately, the error message doesn't say which one, but grepping
>>> through the source code shows a similar error message in the handlers for
>>> OSM, WMS, geo and tiger map formats.
>> Guess I'll have to update those comments to be unique per section and
>> try again.

So after all this, and everything shows up as a "Yes" in the configure
stage yet OSM Mapnik still doesn't work though it downloads the tiles
but everything else works..

    - communicates with the KISS-attached AX.25 TNC
    - receives APRS stations
    - plots them on a basic vector map
    - transmits APRS position

But just no pretty maps!  Grrr.....

[root at hampacket2 config]# xastir

Built-in map types:
       gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
        pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
        map   APRSdos Maps
        map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
        pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
        geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many
formats allowed)
        geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
        geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library
                   Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
        shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
        tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
        xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
        tab   MapInfo TAB
        mid   MapInfo MID
        mif   MapInfo MIF
        ddf   Spatial Data Transfer Standard (SDTS)
        rt1   US Census Bureau TIGER/Line
        s57   International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) S-57
        dgn   MicroStation DGN

festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
Indexing maps...
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD: I don't think
we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD: I don't think we can deal with
colorspace != RGBTBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGB

I've blown away the .xastir directory, didn't help.  I pan around in the
UI and it's seemingly downloading the proper Mapnik tiles but nothing
shows, etc.  Any other ideas here?

The only other things I can think of is that I'm running a very new version of ImageMagick-6.7.6.  Maybe something there?

>>> Look suspiciously like there's a problem with the osmarender server.
>> It doesn't even resolve.. where do these hostnames come from?  Is there
>> a master tile server that Xastir queries or are these hostnames
>> hardcoded into the Xastir source code?
>>
>> [dranch at hampacket2 ~]$ host tah.openstreetmap.org
>> Host tah.openstreetmap.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
> tah.openstreetmap.org doesn't resolve here, either.
>
> The tile servers are defined in the .geo file associated with the online
> map selected.  tah.openstreetmap.org is in the OSM_tiled_osmarender.geo
> file.

Hmmm.. it seems like a bad design to hardcode in names like this and it
still doesn't resolve so I'd call this a bug in Xastir.   Does anyone
know what the proper hostname should be now?  I couldn't find anything
on Google about this issue though I did find this new OSM type which
seems VERY nice!  I wonder if we could get it added into Xastir!

    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TopOSM

> OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo uses tile.openstreetmap.org, which resolves
> Just Fine here:

Yup.. resolves well here too

--David