[Xastir] Compile error with current cvs

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 16 12:27:48 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:19:50PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:
> Last night, I decided to update my installation, so I did a cvs update and
> recompile.  TO my surprise, the compile failed with the following:
>
> gcc  -g -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wno-unused-parameter -pthread -Wl,--no-keep-memory -L/usr/local/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib -o xastir alert.o awk.o bulletin_gui.o color.o datum.o
> db.o db_gis.o dbfawk.o draw_symbols.o fcc_data.o festival.o fetch_remote.o
> geo-find.o geocoder_gui.o gps.o hashtable.o hashtable_itr.o hostname.o
> igate.o interface.o interface_gui.o io-common.o io-mmap.o lang.o
> list_gui.o locate_gui.o location.o location_gui.o main.o maps.o
> map_cache.o map_dos.o map_gdal.o map_geo.o map_gnis.o map_OSM.o map_pop.o
> map_pdb.o map_shp.o map_tif.o map_tiger.o map_WMS.o messages.o
> messages_gui.o objects.o popup_gui.o rac_data.o rotated.o rpl_malloc.o
> shp_hash.o snprintf.o sound.o tile_mgmnt.o track_gui.o util.o
> view_message_gui.o wx.o wx_gui.o x_spider.o xa_config.o compiledate.o
> -Lrtree -lrtree  -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype
> -ljasper -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz
> -lm -lgomp -lpthread -lltdl -ldb-4.8 -lrt -lXm -lXt -lXp -lXext -lm -lSM
> -lICE -lX11 -lcurl -lshp -lpcre -lproj -lax25
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible rtree/librtree.a when searching for
> -lrtree
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lrtree
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [xastir] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> This is on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)  with the ubuntugis ppa enabled:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu lucid main
>
>    When I search synaptic for rtree, the only reference I find is for an
> index type within PostgreSQL, and possibly its header files in libpq-dev,
> which is at v8.4.11 on my system.  That package came from the Ubuntu
> repositories, not the ppa.

rtree is not an external package, it's the one in the subdirectory you found.

"rtree" is a data structure that allows fast searches for overlapping
rectangles.  An rtree structure is created for each shapefile you have
loaded, and it allows a fast(er) search for shapes in the file that overlap
the display area.  Before rtree was added to Xastir, every shapefile load
did a linear search through the entire file, testing each shape to see if
it overlapped the area.  Now, we do a "find all shapes that overlap" operation
using the rtree.

The rtree library in Xastir is borrowed from the same source that provided
rtree searching to the GIS package GRASS.

> ...there's also an rtree subdirectory within the xastir source itself,

> and
> make traversed this directory, but decided to do nothing:

> Making all in rtree
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src/rtree'
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src/rtree'

That's your problem.  Do a make clean in that directory, there's an old
librtree.a in there for some reason, and it needs to be rebuilt.  I can only
speculate on *why* this old library is "incompatible" at link stage, but I can
say for certain that the only possible way to fix it would be to clean out that
directory and rebuild.