[Xastir] Quirks compiling Xastir on Centos6

David A. Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sat May 19 15:28:27 EDT 2012

Hello Curt,

> It could be a bad package for IM, or it could be an IM package that
> had some compile-time parameters set that aren't compatible with Xastir.
> For those kinds of cases I just install GM.  If problems with GM, I
> try IM.

Yeah.. I haven't tried GM yet but the older version of IM seems to be
working well.  Is GM really that much faster, better, etc. than IM?

>> Reloading previous data (maybe with a faster decay algorithm) is
>> something I was looking for.  Does anyone else on the list know if
>> this code (say with the MySQL backend) is working?  Is there
>> documentation on how to configure Xastir to use the proper DB,
>> credentials, etc?
>
> You'd have to do searches back through the Xastir or Xastir-Dev
> mailing lists to find out.  I think you should be able to figure it
> out from that and perhaps from looking at comments in the source code.

Ok.. I'll give it a look but I take it that not many people use this
feature of Xastir?  Too bad Xastir can't just store this information in
a flat file and reload it upon restart.

> Just look at one of the current .geo files to see the format.  It
> should be easy to copy it to a newly-named file, tweak it a bit, then
> test.  The file will have to be down in the
> /usr/local/share/xastir/Maps/ directory tree somewhere, and indexed so
> that Xastir knows the .geo file is there.

Yup.. I'll try that out.  Jerry, KA6HLD also turned me only some
MapQuest servers that offer tiled satellite images!  I'm going to try
that one as well and if I can get it to work, I'll see if I can upload
the .geo to CVS.  I think that would be a slick addition to Xastir..
that and maybe a merged image + map view like how Google does it.

>> http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#21.xastir-compile
>
> I'm using CentOS quite a bit at work but I haven't done a test compile
> of Xastir on any of the servers recently.  I don't remember having to
> do all that much earlier to get Xastir running on CentOS though.

No.. not hard unless you want to do everything in RPMs (even the Perl
modules).  I've done all of that and there are also differences between
Centos5 and Centos6 that I've captured in my doc.

--David