[Xastir] Configuration list for D700

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Mar 18 18:27:25 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 08:10:35AM +1100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:38:23 -0500
> Chris-N9JCA <n9jca at wowway.com> wrote:
>
> > Going back to my original post
> > I seem to have "fixed" the NO decode problem
> > GPS USED was enabled, after turning it OFF/NOT USED
> > I am now RX/TXing fine
> > I now want to set up my D700 as a Digipeater on 144.990,
> > as we have a marathon slated for April 6th and want to use a different
> > frequency, other than 144.390. I filled out the UIDIGI as
> > WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and the DIGIPEATER as ON Should I ADD UIDIGI=ON
> > DIGIPEATER=ON to the Configuration file in Xastir for startup.d700
> > On another note,if someone can take a look at my configuration file I
> > posted earlier and tell me if I need to make any changes, it would be
> > greatly appreciated
>
> Xastir doesn't digipeat.

The TNC in the D700 can digipeat on its own without Xastir's help, and that's
what Chris is trying to use.   I do believe that turning "UIDIGI=ON" is
incorrect (that would tell the D700 to digipeat the "ON" path, not turn on
digipeating).  Otherwise the settings Chris gives look right for enabling
this digipeating by the TNC while Xastir takes care of plotting and managing
the other APRS featurs.

I haven't commented on any of Chris's emails because he is using his D700 in
a way I never have, and my own D700 startup file is exactly the one in the
Xastir repository.  But by my read, the UIDIGI=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and
DIGIPEATER=ON settings should accomplish the stated goal.

Chris:  Remember to clear the UIDIGI setting after your event is done and you
return your D700 to normal 144.390 operation --- it is bad practice to leave
a D700 as a mobile digi on the standard generic callsigns.  Setting UITRACE
to "TEMP" and leaving DIGIPEATER set to ON is, however, a recommended practice
enabling your D700 to serve as a "TEMP" digi for ad-hoc operation when the
local infrastructure is down or during field day.

See http://www.aprs.org/D7xx/d700-faq.txt for recommended settings for normal
day-to-day operations.