[Xastir] Maps are downloading, but not displaying

Paul Burton paulburton0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 10:32:12 EDT 2013

On 10/17/2013 10:18 AM, Tom Russo wrote:
> The alert is coming from the code that processes the ".geo" format, which
> requires either ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick.
>
> I have seen a lot of people say they are having this problem, but I have
> *never* seen it myself.  I have no idea what the cause is.  It is probably not
> an issue that should require disabling GraphicsMagick (i.e. for which you need
> ImageMagick instead), because honestly ImageMagick tends to be so bleeding-edge
> that its updates often break Xastir until a devloper has time to rebug the
> code.  More often, IM is a problem and you need to use GM instead.  If
> both are on your system, Xastir's configure will prefer GM if it can use it,
> precisely because of this ImageMagick instability issue.  But that might
> be a red herring here.
>
> I have been using GraphicsMagick with the online map "osm-tiled-mapnik.geo"
> for years and have no such problem.  So far, we haven't found any solid
> information that points us to why anyone's getting this message, so haven't
> been able to address it --- some folks report seeing this error message even
> with GM and the tiled-mapnik map, but none of the developers see it.  Maybe
> you can help in it down.
>
> What online map are you using?  Does the problem also show up with
> "osm-tiled-mapnik.geo"?
>
> Which version of ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick are you using?  Which of those
> does configure say it's actually using?
>
> What does "gm version" and "Magick-config --version" report?

After digging a little deeper into the mailing list archives, I've
concluded that I need to fiddle with ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick on
my system and try recompiling xastir. I have both IM and GM installed,
but based on what I've read (and your comments above), I should prefer
GM over IM.

I'm at the office now, but hopefully I'll have some time this evening to
mess with it. I'll report my findings if there's anything worth reporting.

Thanks.

Paul Burton paulburton0 at gmail.com