[Xastir] OT: SAME to APRS gateway requirements?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 12:40:35 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
<ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:
> Were you aware that the NWS alerts are still being (or have been restored
> to) firenet.us?  There is no need to have the same alerts being injected by
> multiple clients/devices.

This isn't intended for NWR to APRS-IS gatwaying; it's about getting
the data in absence of internet connectivity - e.g. mobile operation,
or at my house when the power is out.  It could be useful for gating
to APRS-RF in unusual situations where igates aren't available, or
aren't gating the data.

> Although as an educational senior design project, it might be a good
> learning experience.
>
> Also, I wasn't aware that the full information was digitally encoded on the
> weather radio frequencies?  I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression
> that SAME only carried the activation regions, but didn't carry all of the
> zone information that normally appears in the NWS APRS packets.

I have no idea - that's one of the reasons I'm posting here.  I
haven't done a lot of homework.  I figure a customer that half knows
what he's talking about is good, real-world training for 'em. :)

> PS.  http://www.aprs-is.net/WX/Default.aspx is a good place to start.

thanks.

-Jason
kg4wsv