[Xastir] (OT Perhaps) Hear packets thru soundcard; Soundmodemconfig diagnostics show nothing

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Fri Oct 18 12:41:54 EDT 2013

Hello Paul,

A question:   How have you configured your sound system?  ALSA native,
PortAudio, or PulseAudio?  If PulseAudio, have you installed
PAVUcontrol, started soundmodem, and then made sure that PAVUcontrol is
both routing the audio to the right application AND it's levels are set
correctly?  Once you have this, you really need to start with
soundmodemconfig's "spectrum" view to see the levels.  It would look
like something like this:

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/Images/soundmodem-spectrum.png

the scope view would look like:
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/Images/soundmodem-scope.png

and the modem view would look like:
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/Images/soundmodem-modem.png

Btw, in the past, soundmodem would NOT start working correctly until I
tapped the "PTT" button that would seemingly get things to work under
the soundmodemconfig tool but upon exiting that view, soundmodemconfig
would hang and require a kill.  Fortunately, the running soundmodem
daemon would be reliable.  Anyway, you might want to reconsider using
Soundmodem.  Though it works, there are several MUCH better options
now.  I've written up some of the options here which calls out their
benefits, etc:

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#5.softtnc

I have some Linux HAM friends who have switched to Direwolf with
impressive results.

--David
KI6ZHD