[Xastir] HOWTO

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Sep 28 21:37:48 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:37:17AM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:47:21 +0000
> Chris N9JCA <n9jca at wowway.com> wrote:
>
> > Not to offend anyone, but my suggestion
> > is to ditch Ubuntu and use Debian "proper" Tom has the right idea
> > too, as he stays with the LTD versions (this is the only good thing I
> > have to say about Ubuntu)
>

> Debian is constructed in a way which allows incremental upgrading, or
> massive upgrading, but neither requires a reinstall.
> Ubuntu is not constructed the same way, so the intention of their
> developers is that you do a reinstall of Ubuntu when you wish to
> upgrade. Of course, some can manipulate their installs and upgrade
> Ubuntu, but it takes additional expertise.

I hate that the recommended upgrade path is a reinstall.  That is insane, and
completely unnecessary.

Having run Ubuntu on a couple of laptops since 6.04, I have *never* done a
complete reinstall unless I'm replacing disks or complete machines.  Upgrades
generally work OK, if you're careful.

Then again, I am fed up with their 6-month unstable cycle, and only do the
upgrades every 2-3 years.  Too much breaks on the 6 month cycle.  I don't
need to be fixing stuff twice a year.

I have also done Debian installs, and like them fine.  One of the IGates I run
is a Debian machine.  For the appliance SAR laptop, though, Ubuntu LTS releases
work OK for me.  And for my serious work machines, I use FreeBSD anyway.