[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 98, Issue 8

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 17:56:40 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Stephen black wrote:
>
>  Just to be sure you know. I am using a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian from a
>> NOOBS file. I would really like a compiled program with all the bells and
>> whistles that I can get. I want to make a couple of these Pi and radio
>> combos for a couple of ham friends. I have been looking for this for a
>> couple weeks and decided to go to the source and am glad i did. Steve KB1CHU
>>

> Speaking of going to the source (cue evil laugh here)...
>
> Have you thought about compiling Xastir from sources?  Perhaps someone on
> here who has done so can help you out directly.  By compiling it yourself
> you gain the ability to compile in what you need, and only what you need,
> as well as gain the ability to upgrade to the latest Xastir version at will.
>
> I have a Pi at work but haven't compiled Xastir on it, so I won't be much
> help.  It's all Linux though, so between apt-get and the README.CVS file
> you theoretically have access to the info you need.
>
> Since someone just offered to create a binary wtih Festival support,
> waiting for that to occur is another (more limiting) option.

There's also a script that can help with compiling Xastir on a RPi.  This
is from my post in November:
Similar to what has been provided previously via the installation notes at
http://www.xastir.org for Ubuntu, etc., I have posted a shell script for
automating the process of downloading dependent packages, retrieving Xastir
source code from CVS, and compiling & installing Xastir.

>From a terminal in the Raspberry Pi, the shell script can be retrieved as
follows:

wget http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/raspbian-xastir-cvsbuild.sh

Next make sure the script is executable using the following command:

chmod +x raspbian-xastir-cvsbuild.sh

Then execute the script as follows:

./raspbian-xastir-cvsbuild.sh

When the script finishes, you should have a compiled and installed version
of Xastir fresh from the CVS respository.  I didn't bother installing
either geotiff or gdal with the script, but "everything else" was included.

If you already have a directory named src/xastir under your home directory,
I would rename it before executing the script.  The script worked for me -
I have a working and very up to date copy of Xastir on the Pi after
executing it.

The Pi is not a speed burner, so the whole process will definitely take
some time, and of course an Internet connection is needed in order for the
script to download Xastir and its dependencies.

Be sure to uninstall the version of Xastir that you installed via apt-get
first before running the script.  If you don't mind starting over with
configuring Xastir, you will want to delete the contents of the hidden
.xastir folder in your home directory.  If you do mind, you will have to
edit the you need to edit your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file to change
all occurances of "/usr/share" to "/usr/local/share".

Compiling will work your SD card if that's where the OS is installed, but
my take on that is if the SD card is not high enough quality to handle
compiling Xastir every once in a while, it probably won't stand up to 7x24
operation of applications like Xastir, anyway.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT