[Xastir] Xastir save GPS data for later display?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 08:20:53 EDT 2014

I haven't tried to capture tracks that way, but I'm using a similar
hardware setup for my rocket tracking.  I've got a bit of perl code
that receives the remote GPS data from the serial port.  It prepends
"CALLSIGN>APRS:" to the GPGGA and GPRMC sentences, then feeds the
resulting APRS packets to xastir's server port.  I track the rocket
like any other station.

Of course there are better ways to encode APRS packets, but this is
easy and I'm not wasting any bandwidth on 144.39 with these
inefficient packets.

-Jason
kg4wsv