[Xastir] OSM maps not loading Ubuntu 14.04

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Nov 21 20:19:18 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 06:56:58PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <tommasz at frontiernet.net> flavor, containing:
> I was using the version of Xastir that was available via synaptic but recently it stopped loading the OSM maps.
>
> I replaced it with v2.0.7 that I built out of CVS following the directions on the wiki but the problem remains.
>
> I get errors like:
> 	Magick: Improper image header (/home/tom/.xastir/map_cache/map_1416613517.png).
>
> It won't load Geoserver or any of the radar maps either with similar errors.
>
> Any ideas on what's gone wrong? As mentioned above, it worked originally and then stopped.

Not sure why you're seeing these errors.  It is possible the particular
server you're using is actually returning error messages in HTML instead of
PNG files, which would 'splain the Magick errors --- can you view the
file /home/tom/.xastir/map_cache/map_1416613517.png in a non-Magick image
viewer?  If not, can you do
"file /home/tom/.xastir/map_cache/map_1416613517.png" and see what it says?
If it says it's an HTML file, look at the contents --- it probably contains
an error message either saying the URL is no good, or some other error.

I just checked my Xastir CVS build on my own Ubuntu 14.04 machine and it works
just fine with the "OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo"  OSM source.  Does that one work
for you?  Some of the others might reference servers that are gone or
disabled.

It has been a very long time since I've used terraserver or any of the
weather radar.  I believe that all the weather radar geos we have in Xastir
reference ancient sites at Texas A&M that no longer exist, and it's very
likely that what you're seeing there is the result of those sites being down.
Gerry Creager used to maintain those, and I believe they've been gone for
years.

I just tried using terraserver.geo and it does appear that it no longer
works.  It hung for a while clearly trying to connect, then gave up with
a map timeout.   The URL in the terraserver file must be out of date, or
the service no longer works.

I tried using the WMSRadar.geo online option and saw exactly your
"Improper image header" message; on checking I found that the map.png file
was actually an HTML documentcontaining a 404 "URL not found" message.

Fact is, nobody is really maintaining the collection of online .geo files,
and many of them simply stopped working.  If we can identify all of the files
that reference invalid URLs, we can remove them from the Xastir distribution
to reduce frustrations like this, but nobody's done that leg work yet.