[Xastir] Xastir with Kantronics KAM not transmitting

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jul 6 14:55:49 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 08:09:09PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mynixmail at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> On Jul 06 15, Tom Russo :
> > To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at xastir.org>
> > Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 10:04:43 -0600
> > From: Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Xastir] Xastir with Kantronics KAM not transmitting
> >
> > Xastir has had problems with the KAM in the past.  We had a long thread about
> > it back in July-September 2012, and found that it was common for the KAM to
> > fail to go into "converse" mode when Xastir told it to, unless Xastir waited
> > for a little while after sending the "K" command.  Times required to get
> > it to work varied between users from 50ms to much longer.
>
> O.k ... the KAM DOES submit a K and the delay is ticked ...
>
> Here is a sample of the tnc.log ...
>
> The line below shows that it is TX'ing (at least it shows "TX->" and then the
> line below next to it in the "Display Packet Data" window) after I changed the TNCEXTRADELAY
> to 2000000 microseconds ...
>
> TX->ZS6XOX-10>APX204,WIDE2-1:=2612.15S/02815.28EyPHG8130Debian zs6xox at gmail.com 0739347438
> TNC->MYCALL ZS6XOX-10
> TNC->UNPROTO APX204 VIA WIDE2-1
> TNC->K
> TNC->=2612.15S/02815.28EyPHG8130Debian zs6xox at gmail.com 0739347438
>
> The problem is that even though it shows the "TX->" part in the "Display Packet
> Data" window, the red TX L.E.D does not light up ...

Sounds like bad TNC/radio wiring, honestly.  Can you make it transmit if you
wire it up to a dumb terminal and put it in CONV mode, taking Xastir out of
the loop entirely?  And you rightly point out that it could be an error in
wiring to the radio as well.  I can't check those pinouts for you, but that's
a good place to start.