[Xastir] New features

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Apr 23 15:25:42 GMT 2016

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 01:20:47PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:06:42AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n7ipb at wetnet.net> flavor, containing:
> > A heads up for those testing the latest.
> > Bug #1,
> > Wherever a degree symbol is supposed to be printed it shows as multiple
> > extended characters.  (station config, weather)
[...]
> I found, however, that replacing all of those direct-entered special characters
> with "\xB0" returned function to normal.
>
> I can fix it in cvs that way if you'd like.  Or you can.

Committed and tested.  The degree symbol is now inserted into sprintf'd
strings using the "\xB0" format specifier instead of the literal degree
symbol character.  This should prevent it from accidental replacement in
the future, since it's now four ASCII characters in the source, not a single
Unicode/UTF-16 character.

I had to insert the UTF-8-encoded version of this character into comments
where the degree symbol appears.  I was unable to insert the raw <B0>
from the keyboard --- <compose-key>00 inserts the UTF-8 version, <C2><B0>.

None of my systems displayed as the degree symbol the three-byte thing that
had replaced the former "<B0>" character.  Either <B0> or the UTF-8
<C2><B0> representation both show up fine for me.

It'd be good to know how this character unintentionally got changed to
<EF><BF><BD>.  The UTF-8/Unicode decoders I find call this a "replacement
character" and not anything even close to a degree sign.