[Xastir] ADS-B feed

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Sun Dec 11 15:27:27 PST 2016

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:32:12 AM PST Curt Mills wrote:
> IF they transmit tail number -or- flight number, and that's a big IF, then
> the Perl script will set the tactical call to that. Problem is, most don't
> transmit it, so we're left with just the transponder address. We can only
> work with the data they send out.

It may depend on local practices but in my experience they do usually send the
flight/tail number.   Of the thousands of planes I track each week it's very
rare to see one that is only the hex number and then it's usually just for a
short while before it switches to the flight number.

It's when tracking ships with ais.pl that I seldom see the vessel name sent.