[Xastir] New member Intro and question

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Thu Sep 29 08:18:05 PDT 2016

Hello Joel,

It's also worth mentioning that you can't just "download and install the
maps" with Xastir.  Depending on the map type you want (tile, vector,
etc), you need to download the raw files, process them for your desired
area, etc.  What I personally use is OSM (OpenStreetMaps) which is an
online tile service (maps broken down into sequences of little
squares).  I then jump to my desired map area while Xastir is connected
to the internet to get all the zooms I want.  While doing this, Xastir
automatically caches the downloaded tiles and will use the cached tiles
vs. download them from the Internet for the next viewing.  At that
point, Xastir can show your maps offline.

If you want something more flexible to support completely offline
operation, search the archives here on how some people have created
their own on-box tile servers for OSM or processed their own vector files.

--David
KI6ZHD