[Xastir] Couple of Small Problems, Maybe?

Halley Melinda kd4fbi at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 12:56:50 PST 2017

Hey David,This is Mickey, Flip's wife. the xastir site has "TBD" on the section for Igating. Other than how to turn on igating, there's no help. We've both looked to see how to do this, but no luck. I am sighted, he is not - but he has screen readers to read the stuff out to him.
these are excerpts from the included
readme files of xastir
We are playing around with the idea of an IGate because there isn't one in our county.

>From the readme.gettingstarted file:

Enabling Street Address Lookup:
-------------------------------
Download the USA.geocode file and install it into the
/usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/ directory.  This will enable the
"Map->Find Address" menu option to work.  Xastir will place a big
"X" on the map at the street address it finds for you.  This file is
sometimes available at http://www.dementia.org/geocoder/tgr2003/
As an alternative you can download the individual state files that
are located there.

==========
>From the readme file:

     (7) GATING WEATHER ALERTS, STATIONS, OBJECTS/ITEMS TO RF

      Gating NWS Weather Alerts to RF:
      --------------------------------
      If you wish to gate NWS weather alerts from the Internet onto RF, you'll
      need to create a text file in the users directory as
      ~/.xastir/data/nws-stations.txt
      List each NWS station that you would like to transmit via RF. Wildcards
      are implied for lengths of 3 or greater. Here's what an example file
      looks like:

      ------------- Cut Here -------------
      #
      # Seattle, WA
      SEANPW
      #
      # Portland, OR (any alert type)
      PDX
      #
      # Pendleton, OR
      PDTNPW
      #
      # Medford, OR
      MFRNPW
      #
      ------------- Cut Here -------------

      All text should start at the beginning of the line.

(Where can these - NWS abbreviations - be found????)
      Once that file is in place, you'll need to hook up to at least one
      Internet server that is feeding you the weather alerts. You'll also need
      to have at least one RF interface up and running with transmit enabled on
      that interface. Make sure that "Interfaces->Disable Transmit: All" is not
      selected.  You should now be gating NWS weather messages to RF.

      Turn on igate logging and look at that log file to view what you're
      sending out via RF. Don't forget to turn off logging or set up
      auto-rollover of the log files, else your hard drive might fill up with
      logging info. Auto-rollover of log files is typically accomplished via
      CRON.
(where do you find the servers to feed the weather alerts???)
==========

      Gating Stations, Objects/Items to RF:
      -------------------------------------
      The latest code also allows gating packets from specific stations to RF
      using the above method (except object/item packets).  You can also gate
      objects/items to RF by name.  The same wildcarding rules apply as listed
      above.  Callsigns or object/item names listed in this file are
      case-insensitive, so they'll match any case in received packets.

      Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, recommends gating these calls to RF:

        SCOUTS, SATERN, KIDS, REDCROSS, FOUR-H, YOUTH, GUARD, MARS, JOTA

      See his link: "Generic Callsigns for National Events" off this web page
      for his current list of recommended callsigns:

        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html