[Xastir] Propose a new Xastir release?

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Tue Jun 27 10:38:24 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:12:55 AM PDT David Ranch wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> > If you're running Xastir on an RPi you will need to build from source
> > since the version of Xastir installed by raspian is ancient and
> > unfortunately was the version handed out to 100+ attendees of the RPi
> > workshop at SeaPac a few weeks ago.
>
> This is a common issue with stable applications that live out of their
> SCM system and don't create official releases very often. Even with an
> official release being published, most distro package managers are just
> volunteers and they aren't always on top of when something new is
> available.  Regardless, step one is to get a new Xastir version released
> and then we can pursue with the Debian, Fedora, etc. package managers.
>
> Do we think the current state of Xastir is worthy of an official release?

2.0.8 stable was released last July and is in most distributions,  including Debian on
which Rasbian is based.   Imagine my surprise at the workshop when I found a version
so old that the Internet maps didn't even work.  At the time I said I would look into why it
wasn't picked up for the RPi but just haven't taken the time yet.

As for a new release I think there are a couple of things in the latest that might make a
release worthwhile but I'll let Curt speak up about that.
--
Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
“I never am really satisfied that I understand anything; because, understand
it well as I may, my comprehension can only be an infinitesimal fraction of
all I want to understand” -Ada Lovelace