[Xastir] how to START xastir on raspberry pi OS

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Tue Sep 21 16:30:47 PDT 2021

Thanks Tom,

Installed with apt-get from debian repo as this os is debian based.

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ xastir
bash: /usr/bin/xastir: Permission denied

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ which xastir
pi at raspberrypi:~ $ sudo which xastir
/usr/bin/xastir
pi at raspberrypi:~ $

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /usr/bin/xastir
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root xastir-ax25 1237136 Apr 11  2019 /usr/bin/xastir

On 9/21/21 4:23 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
> You could start by telling us what is output by the following commands (as
> your own user ID, not root):
>
>   which xastir
>   ls -l `which xastir`
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 05:22:44PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 04:20:35PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ke6sls at arrl.net> flavor, containing:
>>>
>>> Very irritating.  I can start it with sudo but not as user pi.  Already
>>> ran the setuid root thing.
>>
>> Can you maybe provide a little more context, including how you installed Xastir
>> and how you're trying to run it?  And maybe what error message you get
>> when you try to run it?
>>
>> As it stands, you've not explained enough for anyone to help you.
>>
>> Once installed correctly, running it should be as simple as typing "xastir".
>>
>> --
>> Tom Russo    KM5VY
>> Tijeras, NM
>>
>>  echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z] [n-z][a-m]

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken