[Xastir] how to START xastir on raspberry pi OS

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Sep 21 16:34:21 PDT 2021

The program is installed with incorrect permissions, and only root and members
of the xastir-ax25 group are permitted to run it.

Either add yourself to the xastir-ax25 group, or change the permissions on the
program (with "sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/xastir").

This is an issue of how the binary was packaged by the package maintainer.
If you had built the code yourself from source it wouldn't be like that.  Might
want to look into how the package maintainer intended that package to be
used.  It looks like they've got it set up so that instead of setting the
suid bit, you're supposed to have all authorized ax25 users in the xastir-ax25
group.

I believe the debian xastir package maintainer is on this group.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 04:30:47PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ke6sls at arrl.net> flavor, containing:

> Thanks Tom,
>
> Installed with apt-get from debian repo as this os is debian based.
>
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $ xastir
> bash: /usr/bin/xastir: Permission denied
>
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $ which xastir
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $ sudo which xastir
> /usr/bin/xastir
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $
>
> pi at raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /usr/bin/xastir
> -rwsr-xr-- 1 root xastir-ax25 1237136 Apr 11  2019 /usr/bin/xastir

> On 9/21/21 4:23 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
> > You could start by telling us what is output by the following commands (as
> > your own user ID, not root):
> >
> >   which xastir
> >   ls -l `which xastir`
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 05:22:44PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> >> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 04:20:35PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ke6sls at arrl.net> flavor, containing:

> >> Can you maybe provide a little more context, including how you installed Xastir
> >> and how you're trying to run it?  And maybe what error message you get
> >> when you try to run it?
> >>
> >> As it stands, you've not explained enough for anyone to help you.
> >>
> >> Once installed correctly, running it should be as simple as typing "xastir".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tom Russo    KM5VY
> >> Tijeras, NM
> >>
> >>  echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z] [n-z][a-m]

> --
>
> wishing you well
> Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM