[Xastir] rattlesnakes

Peter Maxfield pmaxfield at charter.net
Thu Feb 15 10:59:25 EST 2007

Hello everybody!

Again, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been so
kind to let me think I know what I am doing!  You guys rock!

Anyway, I have xastir running well under vmplayer.  I am still not sure how
to stop everything.  Sometimes I think I shutdown correctly, but xastir ends
up already running in the background when I restart.  This is not the
problem I want to discuss.  This will go to a broader issue of starting,
stopping and display sizes, which I feel are minor tweaking issues.

The bigger problem I would like to address is festival.  I believe I have it
installed correctly.  I can see it installed when I use the gui package
manager, including devel and headers.  I even enable it with the server
command before I start xastir.  However, when I enable the voice, all I get
are rattlesnake noises, no speech or voice.

Checking in the terminal window I see a possible problem:

When xastir starts and just after the message that says done with wx alert
log files I get the message

Interface Error! Error opening interface 0 time out

Once Xastir is running, I get multiple

sh: play: not found

Before I start to go in and wreak havoc, I was hoping this is a simple issue
to resolve.

Speaking of WX logs:

I downloaded the NWS shapefiles to the vmplayer desktop.  However, I forgot
to (read : don't know how )do it as root.  I don't know the command to
extract on the command line or I hope I could just

sudo extract(?) filename location   I think this would give me the ability
to perform this function.

All in all, this has been fun for me, and hopefully not aggravating for you.
Thanx again.

Best regards,

Peter Maxfield
Where's Max now?