[Xastir] Good serial port comm program for linux

John Ronan jpronans at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 04:56:50 EDT 2009

Have a look at the permissions on your ports... i.e.
j0n at ns1:/$ cd /dev
j0n at ns1:/dev$ ls -al /dev/ttyS?
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2009-03-20 08:53 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 2009-03-15 21:23 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 66 2009-03-14 10:53 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 67 2009-03-14 10:53 /dev/ttyS3
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 68 2009-03-14 10:53 /dev/ttyS4
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 69 2009-03-20 08:48 /dev/ttyS5
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 70 2009-03-18 22:38 /dev/ttyS6
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 71 2009-03-14 11:18 /dev/ttyS7
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 72 2009-03-14 10:53 /dev/ttyS8
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 73 2009-03-14 10:53 /dev/ttyS9
j0n at ns1:/dev$

Above, all the ports are owned by user root and group dialout.

I'm running ubuntu here, so I simply did
sudo adduser j0n dialout

to add the user 'j0n' to the dialout group

John