[Xastir] Mac OSx Problems..... please help if you can

Keith Kaiser wa0tjt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:53:48 EDT 2009

Jason,

I thought I would give you a little more background on the use of
Xastir on my MacBook Pro, in v10.5.6.

First, I've had it running here for a couple of years, with only one
problem, the menus under the Timing option did not have labels. This
was not a terrible problem but one of those things that gets stuck in
the back of your head and you can't let go of. So about 3 weeks ago I
decided to fix it.

I was told the reason the labels don't show is that OSX had a buggy
version of OpenMotif and that changing to Lesstif of upgrading
OpenMotif would fix it. Here is where the problems began because I
don't remember everything I did in my attempt to resolve the issue. I
know I loaded the newer version of OpenMotif, and unloaded it again. I
know I loaded Lesstif first using MacPorts then after unloading it I
loaded it from source, then I loaded the new version of OpenMotif from
a binary..... etc. In short I'm not sure what I have where any more.
After each of the various attempts to load a motif, I re-loaded/
compiled Xastir, never fixing the menu problems.

Somewhere along the way, I updated my version my MacPorts, I also used
it to update all the software under it's control, but at this point if
I do a 'port installed' Lesstif is not listed so I don't think it is
installed any longer.

At this point I went back to the Xastir source code and have
recompiled all of that, here in fact is all of the code I use just so
you can see I'm not hacking it up too bad.

$ cd /Work/xastir-1.9.5
$ make distclean
$ ./bootstrap.sh
$ ./configure
$ make && sudo make install && sudo chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir

This all goes great, no errors and near as I can tell everything is
where it's suppose to be.

Only when I attempt to launch Xastir ($ xastir -v 2047 &) do I get the
problems, the bottom few lines of the log are below.

Code #1128 <XASCHEMA02> data <Xastir CAD Schema> hotkey <>
Code #1129 <XASCHEMA03> data <Xastir full Schema> hotkey <>
Code #1130 <XASCHEMA04> data <APRSWorld Schema> hotkey <>
LANG 1131
Error: Unresolved inheritance operation

My feeling is that I should unload all MacPort installs, and MacPorts
itself, but I'm not sure what the effect on my overall computer will
be. Will this cause issues with the OS, with other non MacPorts
installed software? I've asked this question on the MacPorts forums as
well, and am now waiting on an answer. If I can dump MacPorts and all
it's ilk then I will recompile Xastir again and see what happens.

Thanks Jason

P.S.
I have a balloon launch (W0NSV-11) on Sunday 4/6 and I would like to
use Xastir to track it.